“Children from poor families in Cambodia are highly vulnerable, often facing daily threats to their health, education, safety and overall development. Every day in Cambodia, children are exposed to abuse, violence, exploitation and neglect” (Child Protection UNICEF Cambodia)
Widespread poverty leaves half the population at risk
- Nearly one in five live below the poverty line of $1.25/day and at least as many more people live on the edge or just above the poverty line. This means that about half the population remains extremely vulnerable.
- A small financial loss of just 30 cents a day would cause Cambodia’s poverty rate to double!
- Poor nutrition continues to stifle healthy development
- 29% of the population are under weight.
- 40% of the population exhibit stunted growth.
- 40% of children under 5 are both malnourished and stunted.
- 50% of the population don’t have access to adequate sanitation.
- Decent education and jobs remain a dream for so many.
- Less than half of all children complete primary school.
- Many don’t have the opportunity to enrol and school attendance is extremely low.
- This particularly impacts poorer communities and children from rural area’s.